Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Solar Power in AZ

Since I moved to Arizona about six years ago, I have often wondered why solar power is not more prevalent. I am driven by two motives here, one it is good for the environment, but two it could be a good business. While the state is investing in biotech, which I think is good, I wish we would make an effort to corner the market on solar power research and development. Why not increase our investment to the point where we can export power (or at least eliminate coal fire power plants).

I know we are talking about a large expense, but it just seems to make sense from a quality of life perspective and investing in industry that is bound to grow in the future. I think many people are largely in denial about pollution linked to population growth. Forget global warming for a moment, the air in Phoenix is filthy and getting worse. It is time to invest in quality of life measures with a view to the future. Interestingly, a Chinese company is coming to Arizona to improve their technology, not because of our superior research facilities, but only because we have sunlight. I don't mean to overstate this, but I fear for the future of our nation as we abdicate our place as an innovator to other nations. We need to greatly increase our investment in education (college should be virtually free), affordable health care (GM pays several thousand per car in health care expenses), basic research and improved infrastructure (bandwidth should be inexpensive and plentiful). It is time to prepare for the future... Here the article from the Republic about the solar company from China.

No comments: