Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Arizona is not last, WOO HOO!?!?!

I have a running joke about how every state I have lived in (4, so far) has been last in education (some at the same time). I am normally very skeptical of rankings for a variety of reasons:
  1. News organization seem to be willfully ignorant of how statistics and data work.
  2. Studies are at times willfully misleading.
  3. People misconstrue or take studies out of context
  4. News organizations only seem to cover the state ranking when we are near the top or near the bottom.

Having said all of that, these rankings for health care by state seem to be pretty good. Arizona is near the middle which is what I would expect... I still cannot believe that Arizona is last in anything (everybody knows the Alabama and Mississippi are last in everything, but literacy, life expectancy and church attendance, btw I am from the South so I reserve the right to make fun of my beloved home. Seriously, I kid Alabama and Mississippi, but I love Tuscaloosa and Gulf Port).

At any rate, if you are sick Hawaii seems like the place to be (it is probably the place to be no matter what).

No comments: