Wednesday, July 25, 2007

I Never Thought I would Agree with Wiers, but...

This is another chapter in the Flores saga over English learners funding. What is interesting here is that the judge is trying to hold Jim Wiers and Tim Bee in contempt for not complying with a court order. While I think we should fully fund under the Flores law suit, I am not sure I agree with the judge. I am uncomfortable with the judiciary finding an individual legislator in contempt. I would like to read the actual order to see the judge's reasoning.

Note to the goof balls that run our legislature, there is an easy way out... Fund the english language learning program. It is funny how people against immigration site not learning english as one of their primary concerns, but don't want to fund the program that would most quickly teach kids english.

2 comments:

Curtis Dutiel said...

I think the judge is right in some regards. He found the funding inadequate and ordered the legislature to cough up more $$. The House and Senate mad no move to do anything about it, thus the Speaker of the House and President of the Senate (Weiers and Bee) are in contempt because they have the ultimate authority to get bills heard. (Weiers in particular is almost dictatorial in what gets to the floor or not).

However, there is a flaw in the judge's actions at this time. There is one appeal pending on the Flores funding. The appeal should be fast-tracked so things can move forward. If the $$ is ruled not adequate by the appeals Court, bring the leg back to fix it.
If the legislature then fails to deal with the issue

Craig said...

I don't know if a judge has the authority into session, and I agree that just holding Bee and Weiers solely responsible may be unfair.

However, the judge should and can find that the entire lege is in contempt, and act appropriately.

Personally, I think that a holding cell for 90 would work; think 'Tent City' without the creature comforts.

After a week or so, either the funding would be there, or new leadership would be.