Thursday, August 16, 2007

Is Near Universal Coverage the Short Term Answer?

Here is an article about the Massachusetts experiment with health care. I have thought for quite a few years that solutions would have to come from the states. I think they have a pretty good law in Massachusetts, but not perfect. In the end, I think this maybe how coverage happens. The Feds will provide tools to the states and maybe tax breaks to individuals and businesses. In the end, if nearly everyone is covered costs go down. Emergency rooms are very expensive...

I have never seen the numbers, but we have tons of programs now that address health care. What would happen if we rolled them all into a program to subsidize insurance coverage for everyone and then required that everyone buy it? I think one of the key pieces is portability. People should not have to rely on employers for health care. I don't know, just asking...

No comments: