Thursday, August 30, 2007

Judicial Watch Goes After the Mayor (Judicial Watch is High)

I do not know how many of you remember Judicial Watch, but they are the guys that did their best to bring down Bill Clinton over every unfounded half truth they could dig up. Now they are going after the Mayor (Phoenix Mayor Phil Gordon) with a similar frivolous lawsuit.

Let me get this straight, the Mayor figured out a way to fix a problem without legislation. He did it by striking a compromise between two groups and now he is being sued for it? This is precisely the sort of thing a city mayor should do. Isn't it ironic that they filed their complaint with Sheriff Joe...

I happen to be very familiar with the area that they are complaining about, I was there yesterday to buy paint. I have been there many times over the past few years (it is the busiest Home Depot in Phoenix). Two years ago there were 40 to 50 day laborers near Thomas Road looking for work, now there are almost none. I drove by there this morning for good measure and I did not see a single day laborer.

I won't even get into the issue of whether they should be there, but it certainly seems that the lawsuit is off base. If the anti-immigration people were a little more based in the real world, they would realize that day laborers are in demand and they will not go away just because they want them to. The best solution is to provide a day labor center, but either way they are not at the Home Depot on Thomas anymore...

No comments: