Friday, September 07, 2007

I am Supporting Obama

After a long period of soul searching and examining each candidate. I am officially endorsing Obama for President. I know, I know you have been waiting with baited breath and the Obama Campaign has been on pins and needles ;). I still like almost all of the other candidates (sorry Kuchinich you still stink). I would be willing to vote for any of them if they got the nomination, but I think Obama would make the best president at this time.


The one question I have been asked by friends is whether Obama has the necessary experience after one uncompleted senate term? I came to two conclusions on that front. First, the only candidates with real foreign policy experience (on both side of the race) are Bill Richardson and Joe Biden. While they are both good candidates, I just do not think Richardson is ready for prime time and I just do not care for Biden. As far as Hillary's experience (don't even get me started on Guiliani's "experience"), I would say that being First Lady does not count as experience towards the presidency nor does your husband's presidency. While she is clearly very smart and capable, I think that she is too divisive. I also do not think it is healthy for us as a nation to alternate the presidency between two families for what could be 28 years. Having said that, I think Hilary has taken preparation for the presidency seriously and while I disagree with her on some issues, I think she would make a good president.

The real choice for me was between John Edwards and Obama in the end. I am honestly still a little uneasy about not choosing Edwards. I think he is pushing a great progressive agenda and would make a great president.


The second part of the question of why I chose Obama is because in spite of the hype, I think he inspires people in a way that a presidential candidate has not in a while. While inspiration is likely to fade with any candidate, it would be nice to have a period of national unity no matter how short lived. Of course, inspiration is not enough. I think Obama is clearly smart, capable and seems to be detached from the group think that can dominate DC. I think he has the potential to clean up some of the mess left by George Bush and perhaps put our country back on track. Most of all I trust his judgement...

No comments: