Wednesday, September 19, 2007

No helmet laws part 2

Here is an earlier post about the helmet law discussion. In the discussion details, I pointed out the problems with compelling helmets for motorcycle riders. In my experience the argument always turns to the societal cost of accident victims. My point was and is that exempting people from medical care is a slippery slope and other things would follow. Here is a letter from the Arizona Republic illustrating my point.


Cutting off health care because of a lifestyle choice is myopic, cruel, bad public policy, judgemental, holier than thou and just plain stupid. America listen up, quit trying to protect me from my own life choices. I don't want your help on this one. It will cost my insurance company if I get in an accident, but it is none of your business. I am annoyed by people that are obese. I am annoyed every time one my friends complains about their weight while carrying a half-gallon of soda in a giant cup from the local convenient store.


The difference here is that I don't think they should be required to sign a waver exempting them from medical care when they experience health problems. Anyone that suggests this path has clearly never had a relative or friend dying in the hospital. A little more compassion and understanding of your fellow citizens is a powerful thing.


Save your preaching for someone who doesn't think you are ignorant and short-sighted...

No comments: