Tuesday, November 06, 2007

Michael Nowakowski wins!

Here are the results of the Phoenix District 7 city council race:


It is not uncommon for a second place finisher to win a runoff. While Pastor picked a few % points Nowakowski picked up the rest. I find it particularly interesting that the number of voters actually increased for the runoff. My guess is that Nowakowski had a really strong GOTV effort (Pastor probably did too). Kudos to the Nowakowski Campaign for a job well done.
As many of you know, I preferred Nowakowski as a candidate and I am glad that he won. I think it is good for Phoenix that we will not have a political dynasty. Having said that, I think Laura Pastor has a lot to offer the city, I wish her the best and congratulate her on well run race.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

this win made my week, and maybe month. it really bugged me that pastor had so much support from the establishment, and this win just shows that politicians don't win elections, people do.

A DemLament said...

It just goes to show that conventional wisdom in politics is always right, except when it is wrong.

It also shows that certain endorsements carry weight and other do not. I don't really know whether the Firefighters were the key to victory or whether the campaign won it on their own.

I think a lot of people endorsed Pastor out of respect for her father, but they did not work to get her elected. The people that endorsed Nowakowski did so because they were passionate about his candidacy. The Firefighters took a risk and I think they worked to make sure that the risk paid off for their members.

Anonymous said...

Personally i was shocked Nowakowski won. I was constantly bombarded by his negative mailers and his rude staffers coming to my door. Originally I was undecided on who to vote for but the negativity surrounding his campaign turned me off. I never once received a mailer touting his qualities, only Pastor-bashing materials. Talk about playing dirty! He even had unions paying for his materials, but cries foul when Pastors financial records come out. I had high hopes for Michael, i watched his rise in the Diocese, only to see him crash when a scandal arose. I even served with him on the Historic preservation Bond Committee...he never showed up to any of the tours or meetings...I certainly hope he wakes up and serves our district well. If not, he certainly will be hearing from me and my neighbors!