Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Questions to ask before you vote

I can tell you how I made my decision to vote for Obama. I asked myself the following questions:
1. Who would I be most proud to have representing myself and my party?
2. Which candidate would be willing to take hard positions and do the right thing even when it is unpopular?
3. Which candidate can best heal the rift that exists in our country and calm the all out political war?
4. Which candidate can best withstand the coming Republican onslaught?
5. Who will build the best organization?
6. Which candidate will pursue a 50-state strategy and expand the presidential playing field?
7. X-factors: likability, etc

Here are my answers:
1. This was easy Barack Obama is easy to be inspired by. He represents a generational shift away from the baby-boomer culture war. He gives us chance to make a fresh start (thanks George Bush for destroying your party this cycle). WINNER: Obama
2. I worry about all of the candidates on this one. Obama has been very careful in the Senate. I have been disappointed that they all voted to fund Iraq. Edwards has disappointing votes, most of which he has apologized for. Hillary is pretty much the same. WINNER: Three way tie
3. This one is easy, Obama. I think Edwards has the potential to improve things, but Hillary will certainly unite the Republicans and make things worse. WINNER: Obama
4. This is a tough one. Edwards made some early blunders that gave me pause. I also saw him in person being grilled by Arizona press and found it uninspiring. Obama is being tested by the Clintons in a major way and so far I think he is holding up well. Hillary has a good operation and can mix it up with the Republicans. Winner: Hillary
5. This is a tough one. I think Hillary and Obama would both build good organizations, but I give this one to Obama. I think he will plug into the DNC organization more readily and Clinton will build her own. Obama has a proven ability to bring in small donors and I think this important. Winner: Obama
6. I don’t think that Hillary will work to expand the presidential field because she won’t be able to. Obama has the greatest potential in this area, especially in Southern states with large African-American populations. Edwards also has potential here, but it worries me that he did not win North Carolina in 2004. Winner: Obama.
7. The truth is I just like Obama better as a person. I like Edwards and would be happy with him(Voted for him in the 2004 primary). I don’t really like Hillary. Her voice annoys me and she yells a lot during debates (I know that is not a good reason, but it is what it is). At this point, I don't think Edwards can win the nomination. Winner: Obama

No comments: