Tuesday, April 08, 2008

Oh Ken, say it ain't so

Ken Cheuvront has decided to vote to extend a tax cut in a year when we have record deficits. The article from the KVOA is here. Ken seems like a good guy. It has been long known that he is a fairly pro-business/libertarian Democrat. I personally do not have a problem with lower taxes, but I do have a problem with a Democrat voting to extend a tax cut when we are underfunding education and have massive budget shortfalls. If you plan on extending tax cuts then you should not vote for them unless you have a means to pay for them. It also bothers me that his business is a likely beneficiary of the cut.

I would like to have an explanation as to why he chose to do this. I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt for now...

4 comments:

Zelph said...

Don't feel bad. My state rep, Mark DiSimone was the ONLY Dem to vote for this measure in the House. His explanation: I ran as a fiscally responsible Democrat, some retired people might have to move if their taxes went up, and I had permission from the guv to vote this way. Do you believe him? I'm not sure. When I asked minority leader Phil Lopes about Simone's vote on the air, he told me essentially that legislators in some districts have to vote "strategically" and not to hold just one vote against him. I can perhaps see this in a heavily Republican district like mine, but Cheuvront has no excuse, other than he would be a Republican(and he used to be) if he wasn't gay. Can you say "primary challenge"? I knew you could.

Zelph said...

It looks like Cheuvront does have a reason, but it's not a good one. See here:

http://thedryheat.com/?p=99

I spoke to a representative from SEIU today about the possibility of a primary challenge for Sen. Cheuvront. The AEA backed him last time, but is unlikely to do so after this.

katie said...

I wouldn't expect anyone to run against Ken Cheuvront.

He is also working to end the GPLET. Although I don't agree w/making the tax cuts permanent, this would offset that in a way that is more fair to small businesses, although the measure is likely dead.

Here is an article about it: http://www.azcentral.com/members/Blog/RobertRobb/20944.

A DemLament said...

One of the unfortunate results of clean elections is that defeating incumbents is very difficult.

I wouldn't expect a primary challenge this late in the game, but I am certainly disappointed. I think he is in his last term in the leg, so maybe he will be termed out soon.