Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Thanks to Karen Johnson?

The Arizona Republic has this article about the death of the bill attempting to change the 9/11 memorial. Karen Johnson was the deciding vote. It is sad when Karen Johnson is the voice of reason for Republican Party.

I really liked the Party of Goldwater better than the modern incarnation. At least those guys cared about our Constitutional rights (some of the time)...

Here is her reasoning:

"Besides, this monument was done by private individuals with private money. And I think that everybody is entitled to their opinion. If it is offensive to someone else, well, I thought that we had First Amendment rights in this country. I'm not happy with all the sayings on there, but I liked some of the ones that they wanted to remove."Among those, she said, were "Fear of foreigners" and "Feeling of invincibility lost.""Really," Johnson said, "weren't we afraid of foreigners after this happened? We may still be. And does anybody feel now that America is invincible? I don't have a problem with that.

Although I can understand how some people do."In the end, that's exactly why the memorial should stay as it is - confusing, controversial, forlorn, infuriating - because after all these years, that's still how 9/11 makes us feel.

No comments: