Monday, April 28, 2008

Thomas Watch: The money rolls in...

This year's race for Maricopa County Attorney is shaping up to be a big one if the money raised is any indication. Tim Nelson, who is supported by the Governor, has raised $140,000 in two months while Andy has raised about $210,000. Traditionally, Maricopa County races tend to be low dollar affairs, so this is unusual. I am unhappy to say that Gerald Richard has only raised about $3,000. If he wants to make a serious run he has to start fundraising...

In spite of the fundraising, I still do not have any idea who is the strongest candidate against Thomas.

I will be watching for the following:
  1. Tim Nelson's fundraising -- Are his high totals sustainable or just the Governor giving him a jump start?
  2. Gerald Richard -- Will he raise enough to be competitive?
  3. Who are the candidates hiring to run their campaigns? Will we see the same old losing consultants with the same old strategy?
  4. Which candidate is going to draw a strong contrast with Andy Thomas?

7 comments:

Unknown said...

I like Tim Nelson in this race. I think he has the ability to raise the money and he is going to give Thomas a run for his money. Would be nice if Richards just bowed out so we could wage a campaign against Thomas from the start

A DemLament said...

I am not ready to ask anyone to drop out. That has not served us well in the past (See CD 1 Babbett). I would like to see them fight it out a little. They both need to be toughened up for the fight ahead.

I wish I knew more about both candidates. It is hard to decide who is better...

Phoenix Blogger said...

For starters, both of them are a huge contrast with Thomas so there will be little difficulty there. But I'm with Lora about the race. It's ironic after your concerns about the presidential primary that you would support the same kind of bloodbath among the Democrats for county attorney. I guess Hillary is just getting Obama "toughened up", right? Shouldn't we be learning from our mistakes rather than repeating them?

A DemLament said...

I do think that the Presidential primary was useful up until Texas/Ohio. Obama's campaign is better for it.

I think primaries are good as long they don't get too nasty.

I am leary about anyone ordaining a candidate just because they can raise money. There is no harm in letting the primary play out for a while.

Josh said...

Hi, my name is Josh Kilroy and I am Tim's campaign manager. I wanted to let you know that this campaign will be the most aggressive grassroots effort Maricopa County has every seen for a local race. I will be setting up a diary over at AZnetroots so that our campaign can directly participate in the blogosphere.

A DemLament said...

Thanks for comment Josh...

Josh said...

When it comes to law enforcement I want the most qualified and experience(proven) person protecting my family. Just because you have the almighty $$(George Bush) does not make you the most qualified!! Good luck to both candidates.