Monday, May 12, 2008

The Egghead Vote



One of the things that has bugged me most over this political season is our political discourse once again being critical of the so-called "eggheads", elitists and urbanites. There is the stereotype of Volvo driving, latte drinking, yoga doing and on and on. Of course, there is also the vaulted working class heartland voter who is all knowing and beyond wise.

When did it become ok to disparage people who worked hard to get college degrees? Why is the work someone does on an assembly line more valid than other types of work. Why is it that to be hardworking you must have a job in the old economy? It is interesting to me that my parents and grand-parents worked extra hard in factories, so that I could go to college. They did not want my body to give out at 60.


I hate to break it to everyone, but Volvos are good cars. Lattes while not my cup of tea (pun intended) do not make you an elitist (there are lots of pretty average people at Starbucks). While I am at it, being an elitist is not a bad thing. I want elite leaders. I want the best and brightest leading our country. In fact I personally want to be elite or more elite than I currently am.


The Democratic Party needs to wake-up to the fact that we "eggheads" are every bit as important to the grand coalition as high school educated white voters. Last I checked all votes count the same. To be sure my money spends the same when I send it to the party. I can tell you for sure that I will not be a second-class citizen in my party. And just for the record, the votes of black people count the same as white voters. I vote, I volunteer and I give money, I am the party.

No comments: