Tuesday, May 06, 2008

How does he do it? Jack Harper: World class idiot

Jack Harper... What is there to say about him? I constantly wonder how he consistently comes up with the dumbest ideas. His latest idea is to lift work safety restrictions on minors to make up for a labor shortage that he helped cause (see immigration).

The bill would allow minors to do more dangerous jobs like working on ladders and scaffolding up to 10 feet high. Why stop there? Here is the article from the East Valley Tribune.

I have a special connection to this issue in that I sustained a permanent injury (that I still live with today) while working as a minor. I foolishly took the more dangerous job because it paid $1 more per hour. At the time, I did not really understand the implications.

We should protect kids until they are old enough to choose for themselves. There is actually science to back up the idea that most teenagers are not cognitively ready to properly assess risk. If we have a labor shortage, lets find adults to fill the jobs, not teenagers.

No comments: