Friday, January 26, 2007

District 7 will be a barn burner

The district 7 city council race is turning out to be pretty exciting. This article in the Republic today gives a little information about the two primary candidates.

There is Michael Nowakowski and Laura Pastor. Michael is a Latino (also of polish decent) and manager of Radio Campesina. Laura Pastor is Congressman Pastor's daughter. Mr. Nowakowski received the endorsement of the Fire Fighters and Laura has the Mayor's endorsement.

Most of the people I have talked to (the ones in the know) say Nowakowski is the better candidate. In spite of Laura Pastor's seemingly good name, she has alienated a lot of activists and political people. I have not experienced any of this first hand, but this is what I hear.

If I was a candidate and had to choose between the firefighter and the Mayor, I think I would prefer the fire fighters. Having said that, the mayor has some very good political people and if his endorsement is real, it would be a major factor. The real unknown here is whether this is just an endorsement from the mayor or if there are teeth behind it.

The Mayor has his sights on something bigger and is probably hedging his bets for a future state-wide race. The senior Pastor, at least on paper, could be important in a Democratic primary.

I find these city races a lot more fun to watch than the state-wide runs, I can't wait to see this develop.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey, I've got a question, do you have an email address?

A DemLament said...

Yes, I just updated my blog profile.

ademlament@gmail.com