Thursday, January 25, 2007

Is this the best way to deal with the Minute Men?

Kirsten Sinema, the very liberal (in a good way), legislator from District 15 has proposed this bill to try to curtail the activities of groups like the Minute Men. I have to admit that I don't always agree with her, but damn do I respect her moxy, not to mention her total disregard for getting reelected.

The bill would basically target non-law enforcement people on armed patrol. I have a little trouble with all of this... I am conflicted... On one hand, I don't care for the Minute Men. I think that for the most part they are reactionary, unhelpful and many of them are racists. However, I am not sure I am comfortable going after these sorts of groups in this fashion. It strikes me as, well, a little unamerican. I disagree with them, but support their right to act dumb. However, I am also trouble by armed idiots patrolling the border. Then, there is the issue of fanning the flames of this whole debate in an unhelpful way.

I am not sure of the right answer, but I feel pretty sure that this is not it.

No comments: