Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Paying Businesses to Stay

I have a philosophical problem with governments using tax dollars to convince companies to stay or relocate. This article outlines Phoenix's offer to keep America West/US Airways at Sky Harbor. While I am in favor of keeping them here and I will concede that it is likely that the economic impact of the company is greater than the package, I just know the company is punking us. They have already made the decision as to where they will house their headquarters, but now they want to see what they can get.

I think the worst offender is building sport stadiums. I still cannot believe all the money spent to keep the Cardinals in Phoenix. They are the worst team (perhaps ever) in the NFL and we spent millions of dollars to keep them here. It seems that most of the time, we not only pay for the stadium, but they also raise ticket prices. Now, I could understand if we built a new stadium and we got 3000 $10 tickets per game for the people that paid for the stadium.

I think the only solution to this problem is to outlaw all states and municipalities from using this practice. What do you think?

No comments: