Wednesday, September 05, 2007

NCLB and AIMS are the Wrong Way to Educate

Here is an article from the Arizona Republic about the schools failing under AIMS and the No Child Left Behind law. I think there are lots of problems with this model of education. First, I don't think teaching students how to take a test is necessarily learning. Second, it minimizes music and arts programs. I know it is hard to believe, but not everyone wants to be an engineer. One size fits all education is a bad idea... I think students need outlets for their specific talents and the different facets of their personalities.

It is a good idea to test for basic skills, but I am not sure that only basic skills should determine whether a school is on the right or wrong track. I know people do not like to hear it, but good education is probably 1/3 science and 2/3 art. As much as I would like to see the world of education completely quantified, I know it is not possible. Some of my most valuable educational experiences had nothing to do with preparing for high stakes tests. They included things like hanging out with my gifted teacher and discussing philosophy or literature (but without a real curriculum). In that class, we studied diplomacy, world affairs, Shakespeare, opera, law, the US Constitution, logic and complex mathematics, none of which are on those tests. The class went wherever our curiosity led us. Many of the things I learned, I use daily and have significantly enriched my life.

Our goal should be to educate our citizens, not just teach them a test.

No comments: