Thursday, October 04, 2007

Another stupid law

I have talked about the 207 ballot proposition and how bad an idea it is for city planning. Here is the account of the first use of the law from the Arizona Republic. I know all of the arguments about property rights and as a property owner I get that. However, when do the property rights of the many outweigh the property rights of the individual.

For instance, in my neighborhood, if we did not have strong zoning and enforcement by the city, it would continue to be a high crime area. It is in transition for a variety of reasons, but one big reason is the city's ability to force property owners to paint over graffiti, cut down dead trees, cut their weeds and remove their broken down cars. All of these laws are at risk depending on how the courts decide the case. Although, I admit some annoyance when I was turned in by a neighbor for weeds, it is key to making many parts of Phoenix livable.

I understand the frustration with Tempe and Mesa in particular over eminent domain. We should have adjusted the eminent domain laws and not put this stupid law in place.

CORRECTION -- Prop 207

1 comment:

katie said...

Do you mean 207? 107 was the marriage amendment.