Thursday, November 29, 2007

The Nanny state strikes...

I have not had a lot of time to write lately, but I could not resist this article in the Arizona Republic. The Maricopa County health inspector is cracking down on grannies and their bake sales. While I am sure that the health inspector is well within its rights to regulate bake sales, I am not sure it is the best use of resources. There is a difference between blindly enforcing the law and prudence. My feeling is that if you are regulating an area as a public official you should strive to protect the public as best possible while causing the least disruption.

I am sure Andy Thomas would love to give everyone the death penalty, but it does not make it prudent. There are sometimes and I know this is a slippery slope, when things should just be left alone. This is a solution in search of a problem...

No comments: