Tuesday, February 19, 2008

More on traffic cameras

There is this opinion piece in the Arizona Republic today imploring us "Quit the whining" about traffic cameras. It is funny that the argument that has been so effective at curtailing our freedoms as of late is the "if you are doing nothing wrong you have nothing to worry about".

I must admit that this justification is neat and logical. It is also the slippery slope that police states are based. After all, if the government can justify using traffic cameras based on this argument, why not cameras on every street corner? Why not allow the government to monitor your communications? After all, if you are not doing anything wrong, why would you worry? I am sure it would be effective crime prevention (until someone like Sherriff Joe or Andrew Thomas uses the power to go after political opponents).

Freedom from scrutiny has value. I am a law abiding citizen, but I still do not want to be under surveillance. I would like to live my life free from government's prying eyes. This really comes down to the type of society that we want. I am not so fearful of crime or a car accident that I am willing to give up privacy or anonymity to get it.

No comments: