Monday, March 03, 2008

The restaurants are failing, the restaurants are failing, sound the alarm

I think I can be accurately described as a foodie. I love good food, wine, beer, coffee and cheese in particular. I spent several years in and around the restaurant industry. I ran across this article this morning from the Arizona Republic about how the restaurant industry is struggling.

One of my longtime pet issues is how waiters and waitresses are not even paid minimum wage. Which is why the quote below bugged me so much:

Meanwhile, a higher state minimum wage has pushed labor costs up rapidly. While relatively few workers made the minimum wage, employees who receive tips saw their guaranteed hourly wages climb from $2.15 an hour to $3.90 in just more than a year. Owners say this aspect of the law helps employees who already were doing well and cuts into restaurant profits.



I find it fascinating that an industry that has been able to keep a certain class of workers outside of the minimum wage system for years is complaining about $1.75 increase in pay. I have not waited tables for at least 15 years, but I was making $2.15+tips when I did. I don't know too many industries that get to keep their wages constant for more than a decade...

Does it really hurt so much when you add $80/week?

BTW -- Havana Cafe lady, I just wanted to let you know that I have only eaten in your restaurants once and it was one of the worst meals I have ever had. In fact, it was inedible. I know any place can have a bad night, but it was so bad that I could not bring myself to return.

No comments: