Sunday, June 01, 2008

A sad state and a good compromise

The Rules Committee ruling yesterday was both sage and fair. However, I fear that we are heading for a very close election in the Fall because of the actions of HRC and her die hard supporters. The wounds inflicted through this process, I fear will not be soon forgotten.

I have to admit that I don't fully understand the ferocity of the anger many of her supporters feel. Anyone involved in politics has felt the disappoint and frustration when our chosen candidate loses a close election, but most of us subscribe to a higher good and we believe the Democratic Party represents the best vehicle for achieving our policy goals. Some of her supporters feel robbed by a fair process that was governed by clear rules. HRC had every advantage going into the process, but chose to ignore caucus states and run as though she was an incumbent.

I want to be unequivocal in my statement: I hope that HRC's supporters will come back to the Democratic fold. They are a large and important constituency in our party (I think most of them will), but let me be very clear, anyone considering voting for John McCain after eight years of Bush and the disasters he has wrought is not a Democrat. If you value the election of Hillary Clinton over the swing of the Supreme Court and the rights at stake, you are not a good American. If you think we are better off with four more ruinous years of Republican policies then you don't care about the future of this country. We have no room for you in our party.

2 comments:

katie said...

Please do not think that all HRC supporters are like the ones that are getting all the media attention. You say you hope we come back to the Democratic Party. I for one have not left. I support the process and will support the nominee. In fact, I will work my heart out for the nominee. Those who say they would vote for McCain do not speak for me!

A DemLament said...

I am sure you are right... It is just disconcerting to hear Democrats saying they will vote for John McCain. I wonder how we overcome the anger that many Clinton supporters feel? Or if we just hearing from a very vocal minority?